6.0 Planning the Meeting Functions
6.1 Pre-Meeting Seminars
Some members cannot obtain employer reimbursement for travel to attend a TexITE meeting but can for seminars such as those sponsored by Texas A&M's Texas Engineering Extension Service (TEEX). Accordingly, it has been found to be mutually advantageous for organizations such as TEEX to schedule a seminar immediately prior to the TexITE meeting.
Although the seminar is often held at the same hotel as the TexITE meeting, the sponsoring organization makes its own facility arrangements. Therefore, except for a minimal amount of coordination, the seminar results in no additional burden for the LAC.
6.2 Normal Meeting Schedule
Although at least one recent TexITE meeting experimented with a Wednesday through Friday schedule, the majority of TexITE meetings have used a Thursday through Saturday schedule. While the Executive Board will consider variations, Thursday through Saturday should be considered the norm.
6.3 Typical First Day Activities
The first day of the meeting (usually Thursday) typically has a schedule of events similar to the following:
- Registration. The meeting registration desk is usually open for a few hours in the afternoon. Typical hours are 2 to 8 P.M.
- Technical Tours. At the option of the LAC, one or more technical tours may take place on the first afternoon. Typical tour subjects might be a traffic signal system control center or a transit facility. Technical tours may also be scheduled for the morning of the second day, usually Friday, to return before the Kick-Off Luncheon.
- First Executive Board Meeting. The TexITE Executive Board typically meets on the first day. The time is determined by the President, but usually runs from 4 to 6 P.M. Refreshments may be provided at the beginning of the meeting.
- Sports Activities. A golf tournament on the first day is one of the oldest traditions of TexITE. The tournament is sometimes held at a country club, but many successful tournaments have played on municipal courses. Most golf courses, both public or private, are accustomed to holding such tournaments and will reserve consecutive tee times for the number or foursomes expected to play and arrange for "closest to the pin" and "longest drive" markers to be set out. Usually, planning the golf tournament requires minimal effort by the LAC.
Usually, an alternate sporting event is held concurrently with the golf tournament. In recent years, racquetball has replaced tennis as the usual choice. Other activities may be selected by the LAC.
- Highway Product Group Exhibit and Reception. The HPG typically opens their exhibit space and provides food and beverages from 6 to 8 P.M.
- Other Activities. Other activities may be organized, but are not to conflict with the HPG Exhibit and Reception. These activities shall be coordinated with the LAC chair.
6.4 Typical Second Day Activities
The second day of the meeting (usually Friday) typically has a schedule of events similar to the following:
- Registration. The meeting registration desk usually opens early on the second day and remains open for most of the day. Typical hours are 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Committee Meetings. The time usually set aside for committee meetings is 8 A.M. to 10 A.M.
- HPG Product Exhibits. The HPG reopens their exhibit space, typically from 8 A.M. to noon. The HPG usually provides refreshments (coffee, food, etc.) inside the exhibit area; otherwise, the LAC should schedule a short refreshments break immediately after the time set aside for committee meetings, typically around 10 A.M.
- Chapter Officers Meeting. The officers of the chapters within TexITE usually meet for one hour immediately before the second executive board meeting. If possible, the chapter officers meeting should be scheduled in the same room as the second executive board meeting.
- Second Executive Board Meeting. The Executive Board usually meets a second time after the other Committee Meetings to receive committee reports. The time is determined by the President, but typically begins at 10 A.M. and is scheduled to end by lunch.
- Kick-Off Luncheon. The Kick-Off Luncheon, which is the formal opening session of the meeting, typically begins at noon and lasts until 1:45 or 2 P.M.
- Technical Sessions. Technical sessions typically begin immediately after the Kick-Off Luncheon and run until 5 or 5:30 P.M. Typically, two pairs of concurrent sessions are scheduled, with a short refreshments break between the first concurrent sessions and the second concurrent sessions. (The Vice President is responsible for selecting the topics and arranging the speakers for the Technical Sessions; the LAC arranges the facilities, however.)
- Spouse Activities (optional). Spouses are encouraged to attend the Kick-Off Luncheon. Therefore, when planned, other spouse activities typically begin immediately after the Kick-Off Luncheon and last until 4:30 or 5 P.M. Typical activities include museum tours, sightseeing trips, etc.
- Children’s Activities (optional). Having planned activities for elementary-age children enables more of the spouses to take part in the spouse program. Accordingly, children’s activities are usually planned to run concurrently with the spouse program. A typical schedule would be noon to 4:30 or 5:00 P.M., and might include such activities as a pizza lunch followed by a skating party.
- Evening Activities. The primary social event of the meeting is usually held from 6 to 9 P.M. or later. The event, which usually includes dinner and entertainment, is often held away from the hotel. The event should be designed as a family outing, and has been held in a science museum, an aquarium, horse track, and on a boat. The entertainment has included outdoor theater, comedy shows, and live music. If the event is held away from the hotel, transportation is typically provided for many of the members and guests. Depending on the event, provision should be made to return some members to the hotel early if the event runs late, say after 9 P.M.
6.5 Typical Third Day Activities
The third day of the meeting (usually Saturday) typically has a schedule of events similar to the following:
- Registration. The majority of attendees arrive before the closing of the registration desk on the afternoon of the second day. Therefore, the desk is typically open only for a very limited time (e.g., 8:30 to 9:30 A.M.) on the third day.
- Group Breakfasts. Although less common in recent years, a specific group (such as the "city traffic engineers" or the alumni of a specific university) may desire to have a breakfast meeting. A typical time would be 7 to 8 A.M.
- CCTexITE Business Meeting. CCTexITE normally has its business meeting on the third morning, typically from 7 to 8:30 A.M.
- Student Paper Presentations. The presentations are typically held from 8:30 to 10 A.M. on the third morning.
- Technical Sessions. An additional technical session is typically held from 10:15 to 11:30 A.M. (A short refreshment break is often scheduled immediately prior to this session.)
- Spouse Activities (optional). Third day spouse activities, if planned, typically begin at 10:30 or 11:00 A.M. and last until 2 or 2:30 P.M. Typical activities include museum tours and shopping or sightseeing trips, usually including a group lunch.
- Children's Activities (optional). Children's activities, if planned, are usually scheduled to run concurrently with the spouse program and might include such activities as a trip to a zoo or amusement park with a lunch included. A Putt-Putt golf tournament for the children (with miniature trophies awarded to all participants) has also been a successful activity.
- TexITE Business Luncheon. The Business Luncheon typically begins at 12 noon and usually lasts until 2:30 or 3:00 P.M.